Not often do we see church bells from close proximitry. We might hear them occasionally if we have an ear for their sound but, seldom do we get up to the campanario (belfry) or the espadaña (bell-gable) where church bells would normally hang.
The church bell shown here dates from 1900 and belongs to the Convent de Sant Antoni in Felanitx. A few years ago, the bell suffered some disrepair and was replaced with a new one. The obsolete bell is now placed in a small patio of the convent, away from the preying eyes of passers-by. The convent dates from the early 17th century and underwent some renovations during the 19th century. According to the cura (priest) who holds service daily (except Sundays) at 18h00 despite his ripe old age of 89, the església conventional (convent church) in the Baroque style is now in need of some urgent structural reform. Donations would be welcome.
The photo was taken in Felanitx, Mallorca, Baleares, Spain. The date: March 9th, 2011. The time was 18:24:16.