The small village of Santa Eugènia belongs to the Pla region of Mallorca. Its 1,500 inhabitants, give or take a few, are very proud of the pueblo‘s past history, going back to the Moorish period and beyond, to the Talaiotic settlers. There are a number of archaeologic sites in the vicinity, the largest being es Rafal, a circular Talaiot which was excavated in 1915.
During the Islamic period, there were two alqueríes (small settlements), one called Benibahari and the other one, Benibazari. The settlements were governed then by the court of Quanarusa and ultimately, the Caliphate of Córdoba. Benibazari became Santa Eugènia in 1250, after the Catalan Conquest, but was then governed by the nearby town of Santa Maria. Only in 1843, Santa Eugènia became a municipality in its own right.
Most people come to Santa Eugènia nowadays for its nearby Fundació Natura Parc, an attractive set-up committed to conserving and promoting the Balearic indigenous flora and fauna.
You might be interested, also, in discovering some outstanding culinary treats that the village has to offer. Bon profit.
The photo was taken in Santa Eugènia, Mallorca, Spain. The date: November 23rd, 2008. The time was 15:15:44.