Next to the Porta de l’Almudí, also known as Porta de la Gabella de la Sal, at the bottom end of the Passeig des Born in Palma de Mallorca you’ll find the Antic Quarter d’Intendència (Quartermasters headquarter), also known by the name of Gabella de la Sal. This attractive old building has been occupied by the Spanish Fuerzas Armadas (Armed Forces) for the last 150 years or so, but not any longer. It seems that the Spanish Military is slowly withdrawing some of its activities from the Illes Balears. The old property with its rather impressive patio (courtyard) has been acquired by the Govern Balear for the stately sum of 2,568,069 €. Just where do they get all that money from?
Historically, during the 17th century the Gabella de la Sal used to be a Tax Inspector’s office where tax was levied on any transaction involving salt as a commodity. In Spain, a salt tax was imposed by the Kings until 1869. As of the end of the 19th century, the property was renamed as Quarter d’Intendència and thus, served as an arms, ammunition and gunpowder warehouse, before it turned into a logistics base for the Armed Forces. Now, the historic place will be converted into a Centre de Recursos d’Art Contemporani (Contemporary Art Centre). Let’s see how that will turn out. Current restoration work is scheduled to be completed by the end of this year.
The photo was taken in Palma de Mallorca, Baleares, Spain. The date: November 17th, 2009. The time was 11:21:07.