Sa Llotja de Palma (Lonja; Lotge) was built between 1421 and 1447 as a maritime trade exchange centre. Construction was started by architect Guillem Sagrera from Felanitx. The construction period of 12 years had been calculated but, the architect ran into quarrels with his client, the Colegio de la Mercadería (Merchants’ Guild), abandoned the project before its completion and left Mallorca altogether. After Sagrera’s departure, the Gothic building was completed by the architect Guillermo Vilasolar. At the time, the building formed part of Palma’s fortifications and the defense walls. For this reason, four defense towers were built in the four corners of the trade exchange.
The magnificent building was recently restored to its former glory at a cost of 2,500,000 €. A new roof terrace now replaces the former pitched roof. After the Summer it is planned that groups will be able to climb up to the roof terrace. Let’s see if that will happen.
The building’s single room interior is simply imposing. There are six tall, helical columns. The building has been used for art exhibition and installations during the last thirty years as well as for occasional political gatherings. La Lonja is open this week and next for the Llaüts Lights exhibition by Fabrizio Plessi and will be closed after the end of the show, who knows until when.
The photo (top) was taken in Palma, Mallorca, Baleares, Spain. The date: September 22nd, 2011. The time was 17:29:04. The photo (bottom) was borrowed from the Internet, courtesy of flickr.com and jordipostales.
Thank you, and